Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fabric Samples

Design is so much fun! Fashion design, interior design, cake design... all of it! Just being able to make a concept come to reality is something so satisfying. A few weeks ago, when I was asked to make a cake for an interior designer, I was super excited... and then pretty bummed. To be honest, I was a little intimidated by the idea that I had to make something to impress a designer. I really didn't know what kind of approach to take on this cake. Do I make her desk? With some rulers, pencils, tools, etc.? Paint swatches? A whole room? What to do, what to do...

Luckily this designer had a blog, and plenty of insight into what she likes. One of her recent projects was for a banquette, and she had a blog post about it. She had pictures up of different banquettes she liked, and one thing was for certain -- she loves color! There were some where each cushion was a different color and pattern, and some with a different colored piping for the edges of the cushions. I was also given this picture -- fabric samples for the project! 


And voila, I got it! A cube cake, super modern, with a different color and pattern on each side, and different colored piping around each side. 


My niece got a kick out of photobombing my cake ;)


I obviously couldn't pass up the opportunity to paint that amazing floral print...


In the end, I had so much fun making this cake, and she loved it :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment